Taking the time to really “see” each person as unique allows us to understand them for who they are and not for the circumstance they’re in.
Did You Know?
A video that demonstrates the importance of looking past a person's outer appearance and discovering who they are underneath by asking questions and being curious.
Learning to not let initial impulse, judgment and preconceived biases drive our perception of those around us is central for building a mindset of inclusivity.
- Dim the lights and ask the participant(s) to take five mindful breaths.
- Play the video below.
- Once the video has concluded, engage the participant(s) in a discussion using the suggested conversation starters as a jumping off point.
- What surprised you about this video?
- Share one fact about yourself that other people wouldn’t know just by looking at you.
- Whether a stranger, friend or family member, how do your biases and assumptions interfere with your understanding of others?
- What actions can you take to rethink your biases and practice more acceptance and compassion?
Get access to over 100 tested activities, with downloadable lesson plans, video clips, and attention training practices that impart soft skills to help today’s youth become capable of creating a more compassionate world.